This road blog is an experiment in the sphere of cultural integrity by means of theatre and literature.

Here, you can follow my performances and check on my writings - both fictional and non-fictional. Reviews on literature, theatre and film will also appear on this page.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sofia - Lovech - London

ONE of the reasons for me starting a blog was to write about the experience of a self-sustained performer - giving you some details about the complications I encounter… and so on.

I just ended a three-gig tour that included two shows in Bulgaria and one in the UK.  I planned to fly on 27th of March from Eindhoven, land in Sofia and travel to Lovech where I had to perform the same evening. Be back in Sofia for the show on 28th. Fly to Holland on 31st. Catch a flight to London on 3rd of April, perform and return to Amsterdam the next day.

A week before the show in Sofia, I was informed my performance at NBU (New Bulgarian University) must be put down due to technical reasons. Still, there were a number of reservations, plus I did not want to lose a gig that's been organized for months.  Special thanks to NBU for providing alternative space, despite all difficulties. The show did take place on 28th in one of the Academy rooms, previously used for theatre. It worked just perfectly.

The complications regarding my performance in Lovech resulted from a train delay that made me miss my flight on 27th. As I said before, I use train connections to reach airports in Belgum and Holland where low cost flights are available, but Wizzair changed their time of departure months ago, probably due to rental issues, and currently take off at 8:45 a.m.

Hence, to catch a flight one must get on the night train from Amsterdam at 3:45 and change three times to get to Eindhoven. My last connection was forty five minutes late - enough to arrive at the airport 3 minutes after the gate was closed. With no possibility to re-book before 29th, I took the train back to Amsterdam, hopping there’s a plane departing from Schiphol at noon.

Unfortunately, the only one affordable was on 28th (the next day), which meant I wouldn’t make it for the performance in Lovech. Luckily, that was a high school appearance so I called the headmaster, asking to reschedule for 29th. He said I can use the hall, but the students have been told the show’s cancelled, because I had said so few hours earlier. I wrote to couple of them about what the deal was - the rest they figured themselves - spreading the word. That was cool. Thanks for that. I flew on 28th from Amsterdam and threw the show in Lovech on 29th.

The gig in London had no organization problems, yet it got me a bit troubled over promotion. With less than a week to the performance there were no bookings whatsoever, but thanks to the Bulgarian Cultural Institute and all the work they’ve done promoting Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll, the show sell out anyway. 

I'll be back at Etcetera on May 3rd, but those of you living in Amsterdam can see me at the De Nieuwe Anita on April 15th


April 3rd - Etcetera Theatre - Camden / London - UK

Book your tickets for my shows in London here: BOOK


Check out my new show: The Mirror and Aaron Smith. From the Other-Dimensional stories of Detective Defective................... Coming soon. 




No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment